Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Kai haiku


I’ve got a stack of real writing jobs on at the moment, some of them for companies who found me through this website, so thank you. Unfortunately, when you’re writing stuff for a living all day, it’s quite hard to motivate yourself to write the free stuff with the same enthusiasm. So in an attempt to make today’s blog post seem a little less onerous for myself, I’m going to be telling you about the month’s food highlights in the form of haiku.

Haiku, as you probably know, is a Japanese poetry form featuring three lines of five syllables, seven syllables, five syllables. Yes I know there’s a school of thought that says the exact number of syllables doesn’t matter, but I think that ruins the fun a bit: we already have a word for a short poem with any number of syllables you like, it’s called a sentence.

So here are some haikus in the traditional format. Do feel free to bulk out this post by leaving me an Auckland food-related haiku of your own in the comments section below:




Ripe on Richmond Road
You gotta have balls to sell
Five buck ginger crunch


Turkish eggs at Queenies
(The eggs are from Turkey, but
Not from a turkey)



Takapuna Beach
Café is unlicensed, so
Drink before you go



O’Connell Bistro:
Lovely entrees and desserts
But the mains need work



Joy’s Thai in Pt Chev
Looks like a bad RSA
But the food’s not bad


Hawaiian food night
No, me neither. Was good though
If slightly awkward