Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Wellington latest


Well this is awkward. Turns out fatherhood is actually quite time consuming, not the effortless, hobbysome pursuit I'd been planning for. As a result I've found myself confusingly short of free time. I'm still eating, but I'm getting less of a chance to write about it (although you can read my contributions to Auckland's Top 100 CBD eateries in this month's Metro magazine).

Luckily I have a crutch to lean on in these hard times, and that's my buddy Alexander Bisley, who's in charge of keeping an eye on comings and goings on the Wellington food scene for me. Below are his picks, updated from a year ago.
Wellingtonians and capitalphiles please feel free to try out my new “Comments On” setting – another furtive attempt to get someone else to do my work while I change nappies. Feel free also to challenge the gustatory credibility of a man who's lost 27 kg in one year. Congratulations Al!


Best Brunch: Maranui, Olive 
Best CafĂ©: Floriditas, Lido 
Best French: Arbitrageur, Le Canard 
Best Suburban: The Larder (Miramar) 
Best Italian: Vivo, La Bella Italia 
Best Indian: Great India 
Best Japanese: Kazu
Best Malay: Kayu Manis
Best Fish Tagine: Casablanca  
Best Pizza: Zibibbo 
Best Seafood: Ortega Fish Shack and Bar (especially crayfish butter sauce) 
Best Solo Dining: Kazu Yakitori
Best Steak: 88
Best Vietnamese: 88
Best Kebab: Phoenician Falafel
Best Top End o' Town: Trade Kitchen
Best Maitre D': Ambeli's Shae Moleta  
Most Overrated: Flying Burrito Brothers